Carpet spills and stains top the list for the most obnoxious and stubborn problems among owners. Cleaning a spot on your rug is a top priority if you want to maintain its looks and overall quality. You can either do it on your own or hire professional carpet cleaners for the job. There is a world of difference if you entrust the cleaning process to the experts. The important thing is that you immediately and promptly address the problem before it gets worse beyond repair.
How do you deal with carpet spills?
It is easy to search the Internet for carpet cleaning methods and tips about cleaning carpet stains. Some of these steps are helpful and doable while others are not. Take note that the credibility of the source you use for carpet cleaning counts a lot. Moreover, you can always call for backup and delegate the problem to the professionals. That way you bring back the looks and condition of your carpet without even lifting a finger.
Spot Removal and Proper Cleaning Products
One of the most effective methods for stain removal is choosing the right cleaning solution. The proper product specification tells you if the cleaning is successful or otherwise. There are highly recommended stain removal products for different types of carpet. Stain resistant fiber systems are also good to consider when removing carpet spills and stains.
Only professional carpet cleaners use powerful stain removal products that are harsh on stains but gentle on your health. Most of these chemicals however are quite difficult to handle. That is why hiring professional cleaners is a must. Unless you have the proper safety gears, equipment, and training, using concentrated and powerful stain removal products is dangerous and unsafe.
How do stain removal products work?
Formulated product for removing stain gets rid of stains and spills with high percentage of success. There are various instructions for proper usage and application thus it helps to completely read the directions and follow by the book. Some chemical removers are used with water only so that the carpet fiber is not damaged and could last longer. Carpet conditioners on the other hand brings back a new look on your rug. The best stain removers are competitively priced and environment-friendly for regular maintenance.
Do you need carpet spot cleaning?
Spot cleaning your carpet is not just an option but a necessity. Carpet piles are home to dry soil, spots, and spills, among many others. Spots stand out compared to the usual dirt and dry soil, depending on the pattern and color of your rug. Deal with carpet stains as soon as you see the problem. Spot cleaning is therefore an essential part of your carpet maintenance program.
Most professional carpet cleaners have special packages for spot cleaning. Others include this cleaning method in their package deal. The type of spot cleaning solution depends on the severity of the stain or spill you are dealing with.
Are modern carpets spill resistant?
Carpets are not created equal. Some may have stain resistant features while others are prone to spills and spots. Look for carpets with spill resistant properties if you don’t want to encounter the hassle of spot cleaning every now and then. Carpet manufacturers may have mill-applied stain blockers on their carpet treatments while others are soil resistant. Therefore it is easier to do spot cleaning or you don’t have to do it at all. The secret is to use the proper tools, cleaning products, and techniques.
Prompt Action is a Must
Take immediate action once you discovered the problem, lest you risk aggravating the issue and making it irreparable. You may consider spot cleaning a cumbersome chore but addressing the problem right away could mean a world of difference. Never delay cleaning spots if you want to get rid of the problem hassle-free. Call professional carpet cleaners to take action in case you are too busy to do in your own. You can include the task for your regularly scheduled carpet cleaning request.
When exactly do you spot clean?
The best time to treat the spot is upon seeing it. The rule of thumb in spot cleaning is that you always work your way from the edge of the spot toward the center. Blot the spot and never scrub. Scrubbing potentially spreads the spot and worse, distorts the carpet fibers. The simplest extraction method for carpet stains is through using a white and plain absorbent towel to blot the spot.
How about dried spots?
Blot the spot using a dampened towel. Use plain water or all purpose spotters in order to dampen the towel first. The method successfully gets rid of the contaminants out of the stained carpet fibers. Damp towels and blotting the spot can also remove common water-borne spots. Use spot extractors for remaining residues at appropriate intervals. This allows the spot to dislodge and disappear without putting too much effort on it.
What is dry extraction?
The method uses an absorbent compound for spot cleaning. Once applied to the spot or affected area, the absorbent material or compound absorbs and dislodges the stain. The dislodged stain is then quickly and easily vacuumed away. The advantage of dry extraction is the absence of drying time since minimal liquid is used.
What tools do you need for spot cleaning?
DIY spot kits are always helpful especially for the initial spot cleaning. The professional carpet cleaners do the rest of the task for thorough and quality results. Deal with stubborn spots and spills and get fully equipped with the following tools:
- Absorbent towels
- Absorbent compound or general purpose spotter
- Small extractor or vacuum
- Soft bristle brush or bone spatula
Mechanics of Spot Removal
Simple spot cleaning gets rid of the spots and stains. However, for severe carpet spills make sure to call the experts right away. Do not touch anything unless you are 100% sure of what you do. Otherwise, you might end up damaging the carpet and aggravating the problem.
Here is how you remove spots and stains on your carpet fibers:
- Blot the Surface. Never scrub as this may risk spreading the spot or stain. You can also scrape up the affected area if necessary. Check the manufacturer’s instruction in case you are not sure about the scraping part.
- Cleaning Solution Application. Proceed with applying the chemical cleanser or cleaning solution. You can also use an absorbent compound to remove the stain on the affected area. Different products have their own formulation which may or may not be helpful for the spot cleaning. Know your carpet type and see if the absorbent compound will not damage the carpet fiber.
- Agitate with Bone Spatula. Use a soft bristle brush or bone spatula to dislodge the stain. Agitating the affected area is an easy and effective way to quickly remove sticky or stubborn spots.
- Extra or Blot the Area. You can use a vacuum or blot extractor. This works well if you initially apply an absorbent compound or cleaning product before extraction. It means the stain is already softened and could easily be removed.
Types of Spots and Appropriate Removal Methods
You are dealing with different carpet spots and stains. One stain is easier to remove than others. Thus, you cannot use the same method on different stains and expect the same results. Take a look at some of the different types of spots and the most appropriate removal methods that match each one:
- Category “A” Spots. This type is water based such as fruit juices, catsup, and the likes. The best way to remove the stain is through blotting or extracting the spot to remove the stuck substance. Use clear water to thoroughly rinse the area. A mild carpet spotter or cleaning solution works to gently and sparingly agitate the stained area upon application. Rinse to remove residue and blot or extract again to remove excess moisture.
- Category “B” Spots. Grease, shoe polish, oil, and other petroleum based spots are under this category. Remove the stain through using a mild stain spotter and blotting the substance. Minimal cleaning liquid is enough to dampen the stained area. Agitate, blot, and rinse with clear water. Repeat the process until the spot is thoroughly removed. Rinse and blot again to get rid of excess moisture.
- Category “C” Spots. These stains are coffee or tea based. The effective way to get rid of this type of spot is through blotting or extracting the spot to dislodge the substance. Use clear water to thoroughly rinse. Apply a formulated coffee stain remover or check with the recommendations of the carpet manufacturer. Remove the residue with clear water and get rid of the remaining excess moisture through blotting or extracting.
- Category “D” Spots. This group includes biological stains such as urine, vomit, blood, and the likes. Remove any solid substances first using a bone spatula if there are any present. Blot or extra the stain, rinse with clear water and apply alkaline disinfectant cleansers. You can also check the manufacturer’s recommendations for safe cleaning products. Rinse again and blot to remove the remaining residues and excess moisture.
Here is a more comprehensive list of the types of carpet spots:
- Brass stain
- Calcium chloride (De-icer)
- Carbolic Acid (Disinfectant)
- Cement, building
- Chewing gum
- Children’s drink mix
- Cigarette burn
- Paint, latex
- Peanut butter
- Tomato juice
- Tomato paste
- Carbon, black
- Cement, contact
- Glue latex
- Ink, copying
- Ink, permanent
- Paint, oil
- Salad dressing
- Shoe polish
- Soy sauce
Spot Cleaning and Carpet Care 101
Spots and stains are not the only problems that carpet owners deal with. There are other issues such as molds and mildew, dirt buildup, and dust that require preventative maintenance. Proper vacuuming is also necessary on top of spot cleaning that are both included in the most carpet cleaning planned programs. Interim and deep cleaning is most important approach for the maintenance and restoration of carpet appearance and condition.
The Carpet Cleaning Principles
The principles behind carpet cleaning involve numerous factors that influence the quality of the results. Here are the principles used in any effective carpet cleaning programs:
It also refers to the dwell time when the cleaning agents are allowed to do their work. The process includes baking the bonding agents between the carpet fiber and soil. Professional carpet cleaners use products that dissolve, absorb and encapsulate the stain for eventual removal. Good results are expected when the cleaning product or agent is applied to the affected carpet area, stay there, and then rinsed for removal.
Mechanical agitation works to assist the cleaning agents and effectively achieve the best results. Agitating the stain or spot is essential in breaking the bond between the carpet fibers and the soil or bonding substance.
There are carpet-appropriate cleaning products and others are too powerful and harsh to apply on your rug. The best way to do it right is to initially check the recommendation of the manufacturer. The proper cleaning product with the right formulation effectively dislodges and removes the soil. There are different soil types that could be effectively removed. Take note that not all spot cleaners are created equal. There is a matching cleaning agent for a particular soil type. The chemistry of the cleaning agent plays a huge role in the efficiency of the result.
The appropriate temperature could get rid of the type of soil or spot you are dealing with. Temperature applies to the method wet extraction as much as it does to heat or dry extraction. The cleaning process is quickly initiated through heat as the catalyst of speeding up chemical reactions. Heat also lowers the surface tension thus eventually loosening the soiling bonds present in the carpet fiber.
The carpet cleaning and spot cleaning principles work in various methods employed. When used properly and comprehensively, optimal cleaning results could be achieved. Moreover, it is important to hire expert carpet cleaners so that you are 100% sure of the effects of the cleaning methods. In some cases, you may lack one or two of the principles, and this could lead to unsatisfactory effects. Professional carpet cleaners have the right equipment, training, and safety gears that DIY cleaning does not have.
How to Find the Best Carpet Spot Cleaning Specialists
There are numerous sources where you can find the best spot cleaning experts. These sources are easily accessible and could be accessed either online or offline. Make sure that you make your pre-hiring research so that you are 100% sure you get the best quality service.
- Word of Mouth. Ask for reference or recommendation from trusted sources. You may have friends, family members, colleagues, and neighbors that know a good carpet cleaner. This is a reliable source since they have personally experienced the service and have seen the results. You can also solicit advice and suggestion from online sources through forums and group discussions.
- Websites. Most carpet cleaners have their own company websites for customer reference. You can simply search the company through using keywords such as “spot cleaning” and “carpet cleaning” and you will see the websites of service providers. Different companies have their own specialization, feature, and pricing. Comprehensive review of the company website gives you the idea of their type of services for spot cleaning and carpet care.
- Social Networks. Facebook, Twitter, and other social networking sites are also good sources for carpet cleaning services. Most companies utilize social media to reach their target audience. They have Facebook pages and other social media accounts. You can use the search bar in any of these sites in order to find what you are looking for.
- Conventional Sources. You can check Yellow Page or White Page sources for the contact details of the company. These sources are also available online. You can call the company, send email, or visit their actual address if you have the time to do so. This way you can personally inquire or schedule consultation and onsite visit with the company.
- Online Reviews. Look for websites that are dedicated to provide reviews and ratings for all certified carpet cleaners. Make sure you consider unbiased and neutral reviews from actual users and not automatically generated.
Spot cleaning is a tricky and challenging task. You need to have sufficient information on how you can effective get rid of the stains and spots. For more effective and safer results, it is better to hire professional carpet cleaners. Consult with your preferred spot cleaning specialist today for more information and details.